Monday, November 5, 2012

On Acupuncture

I had always been quite interested in the ladies who used acupuncture while TTC. I just didn't understand the mechanics of it and how it worked... and thought that I didn't know anyone who used it. I have a friend from high school who, through the powers of Facebook, told me she had used an acupuncturist after an RE (the same one I was initially going to) told her she wouldn't conceive without drugs (sound familar? LOL)

She did 3 or 4 treatments with the acupuncturist and bam - pregnant! I figured it can't hurt to try.

I made an appointment for a few days before I was supposed to ovulate last cycle. The first 10 minutes or so were just a discussion with the acupuncturist about acupuncture and traditional chinese medicine. I filled out a ton of paperwork, including a form that just had lists of symptoms that you were supposed to indicate if you suffered from them and how often. He asked a ton of questions about my cycle, things you don't even normally think of, let alone think anyone else is interested in.

At some point, he took my pulse and looked at my tongue, and said he thought I was anemic. I had been told in the past I was anemic, but no real cause was ever identified. He suggested I get a bloodtest for it the next time I see my primary care doctor. I thought that was really interesting.

He said his goal for me with the acupuncture was to move my ovulation date up to be earlier, strengthen my lining, and lengthen my luteal phase.

Anyways, he had me remove my shoes and socks and had my lay on the table with my belt undone. He rubbed the areas where he was going to insert the needles with alcohol. He would feel around certain areas of my body and then put a little needle in. I think I ended up with 5 needles in each shin/ankle area, then 5 in my forearms, and 5 or 6 in my belly. He explained everything as he went and I felt totally at ease. And really, the needle sticks didn't hurt at all. You'd feel them but it wasn't painful. Then he put a heatlamp over my legs, turned on nice music, turned off the lights, and I laid there for 20 minutes. I have never felt so relaxed in my life.

At the end of the 20 minutes, his nurse came in and would remove the needles. As she would remove them, she'd massage the area with this liquid chinese herb mixture (it smelled a little like menthol). She then massaged all of the areas - again, total relaxation. The acupuncturist came back in, we chatted, and that was it.

So, remember his goals? That particular cycle was very short and wonky. But my next cycle, the first one with the new RE (the one I'm currently on), my ovulation date moved from my normal, natural CD18 to CD14, without any medication. That, in and of itself, is a miracle, and I can only attribute it to the acupuncture.

No comments:

Post a Comment