Friday, July 12, 2013

On my 3D/4D ultrasound, my baby shower, & my 1st hospitalization

I have been so overcome with circumstances and a crazy life that I've been neglecting my poor blog. When I had originally started this, it was mostly to track all my infertility stuff and to just remember every step of that journey. Now I like using my blog to remember everything with my pregnancy.

On 07/01, I had a regular appointment with my OB. I should preface this by saying that I had spent that weekend in high celebratory fashion.

Two days before, on Saturday, we had an appointment for a 3D/4D ultrasound of the babies. We had made a little event out of it, inviting some close friends and family. Both of my parents had been acting a little weird all week and making weird comments, so I knew something was up. Well, lo and behold, my sisters had all flown in. Not only was that day the day we would see the babies' faces, but it was also my baby shower. :)

At first during the ultrasound, neither baby would cooperate. They were both laying on their bellies and refusing to turn. I drank a Sprite really quick (sugar always gets them going), and soon enough, they started to cooperate.


In the 2nd set, you can see Ryder opening his eyes and Brynley smiling. :)

I had always said that I thought they would have my family's cheeks and DH's family's nose - and it looks about right. I think it's funny they have similar features, although Brynley definitely looks more feminine to me. <3 Brynley is such a bully, kicking her brother in the head the entire time, lol.

So, after the ultrasound, I went home to relax for a bit, get changed and head to the baby shower. It was really an awesome time. My friends and family did a Dr. Suess-themed shower, and it was just perfect. I was so overwhelmed with how generous everyone was, my children literally will not need any clothes through 9m size and we got all of the "essentials" for when they first come home. There is very little we will need to purchase!



















Sunday was spent unloading all of the stuff in our house and attempting to organize some of it. That night, we had a big group dinner at a (sodium-rich) Mexican place that I love for my birthday. Afterwards, we went bowling. Yes, you read that right - my big pregnant ass bowled. This will all come into play later, lol.

The next day, I had my OB appointment. I had been stressed all day at work because I knew it would be my last day before my maternity leave. I had also noticed that I was super swollen. I really didn't think much of it, I mean, yes, of course my diet had been crap that entire weekend and I had went bowling, but whatever. Well, when I went to the OB, the scale showed an 8lb gain from 2 weeks before. Now, I weigh myself literally every day to watch for fluid retention. I hadn't weighed myself that morning because I knew it wasn't going to be good. But 8lb seemed excessive. I had done 24 hour urine collection 2 weeks before and my protein was at 178, which is low.

Then, my blood pressure was high - like 165/90. I have documented white coat syndrome, so I didn't think much of it. Normally, they'll have me do my appointment and then afterwards re-check my pressure, and I'm fine. So, we went with that. The appointment wasn't crazy, the doctor did pull me from work, and afterwards, I sent DH home since I was just going to have my pressure checked and I assumed I'd go back to work to get my things.

Notsomuch.

After about an hour of my blood pressure not getting below around 148/80, the doctor said he wanted me sent to the hospital for 24 hour observation. I was shocked. I had to call DH, ask him to pack me some things, call my parents, tell them what's going on, and then go to the hospital. I was a hysterical mess before leaving the OB and then again once I got to Labor & Delivery.

The hospital stay, in and of itself, was unremarkable. I had to do 24-hour monitoring of me, my blood pressure, any contractions, the babies' movement and heart rates, and 24 hour urine collection. I couldn't sleep because I was hooked up to a million machines and everytime I moved, the babies moved, and they would have to readjust my belly monitors. Of course, throughout the stay, my blood pressure was amazing and low. I spent most of my time just thinking about the babies and watching trashy tv. My nurses were all great, but I just could not get comfortable, and that hospital bed was the worst thing I've ever laid in. After about 26 hours, my OB discharged me and I went home. The protein in my urine was around 280, which is still under pre-eclampsia levels.

I was sent home with strict instructions to really start taking it easy. My protein levels seem to flip flop, so there is definitely correlation between me taking it easy and my protein being better. I can also see a huge difference in my pedal edema when I'm relaxing in bed versus running around like a loon. Since the hospitalization though, I've had ungodly carpal tunnel syndrome. Apparently, it's super common in pregnancy and general consensus is that there's not much you can do. DH got me some wrist splints, which I've been wearing while I sleep, to help with the inflammation. I literally can't hand write things, can barely type, and go from pins & needles in my hands to complete numbness. Awesome.

I should also add that I failed my 1 hour glucose test (by 3 friggin points!) My OB said under normal circumstances, I would've passed, but I'm held to a higher standard by the perinatologists. I did my 3 hour test on 07/08. It really wasn't as horrible as everyone makes it out to be. I survived, and I'm assuming I passed because I haven't gotten any crazy phone calls from the OB's office.

On 07/03, we got to see the babies again for a growth scan. Brynley was weighing 2lb15oz and Ryder was weighing 3lb1oz. As always, Bryn was kicking her brother in the head and generally, not being cooperative. Both babies are measuring ahead and looking great. We go back on 07/30 for our next growth scan.

3 comments:

  1. Lucas had a 3D & levell II ultrasound, and he didn't have any markers. He wasn't dx until he was 36 hours old. The 3D pictures were really cute though :)

    3d ultrasound center California

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness! I love the ultrasound photo's! I am 13 weeks pregnant and I go in 2 weeks to find out what I am having. I think that once I am further along, I will definitely be looking for a place that does 3d ultrasounds in Mississauga. Congratulations on your cute babies!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Magnetic resonance imaging uses large magnet and radio waves to look inside the body and analyse the organs. Health care professionals use this diagnostic imaging solution to identify multiple conditions like from torn ligaments to tumour. Basically, MRIs are useful to examine brain and spinal cord condition. For more information please Click Here

    ReplyDelete