Tuesday, June 11, 2013

On 25w4d, pre-eclampsia, & getting the nursery ready

I'm 25w4d today. According to the scale this morning, I'm up 30lbs, but I'm not sure that's completely accurate because I am definitely swollen today. It's ungodly humid everywhere I go, and my poor fingers were so swollen this morning that I couldn't even wear my wedding set. :( I'm wearing my titanium "EMS" wedding ring instead, which is a little more forgiving when I'm swollen. I haven't been able to wear my watch or bracelet for a couple of weeks now, I guess the weight gain is going to my wrists? LOL. As I'm typing this, I'm thinking "I need to get a fan for my desk and I need compression socks".

At my past few OB appointments, the OB has made some comments about my blood pressure. I'm not getting crazy high readings, and have been tracking at home as well, and I'm always right around the 130/80 mark... sometimes higher when I'm at the doctor because I have definite white coat syndrome. I stress myself out about the blood pressure reading, knowing I'll be in trouble because it's high, and then what happens? It's high. If I can wait until the end of the appointment to have it taken, it's always much lower and within normal ranges.

Anyways, 2 appointments ago, my OB mentioned that I need to start thinking about when I will come out of work. At my last appointment last Wednesday, he told me he wants me out of work ASAP. In fact, he wanted to put me out of work that day. His concern is that my blood pressure is slowly creeping up, I'm having pedal edema from sitting at my desk all day, and because I'm already high risk, it puts me at higher risk for pre-eclampsia. He had me do another 24 urine collection 2 appointments ago, and my protein came in right under 300 - with 300 being pre-eclampsia (along with elevated blood pressure). He told me that he's "trying to be nice" with me right now because he doesn't want to stress me out more and send my blood pressure up, but that I need to slow down, treat this as the twin/high-risk pregnancy this is, and stop working. He said that if I keep at the pace I'm at, I will deliver the babies closer to 34 weeks or earlier, which really freaked me out.

I think the thing that freaks me out the most about it is that I feel great! Honestly, I love being pregnant, and there have been some minor discomforts at times, but overall, I just feel so good that it's hard for me to believe that something bad could be happening. If I felt like shit, I could understand things more, but I really just don't. He said that makes it even more concerning, because I'm mostly asymptomatic, and things could turn ugly quickly, and put the babies and I at risk. He said that I need to be at home, laying on my sides, eating/drinking/napping whenever I want in the AC and continuing to bake these babies.

Anyways, I'm trying to play Let's Make a Deal with my OB. I go back tomorrow for a blood pressure check. Thursday is my ultrasound with Maternal Fetal Medicine to see how big these babies are. My next "real" appointment with him is Monday the 17th. He asked me to bring DH since I'm "not being cooperative". I have lab appointments set up to do my 1 hour glucose and another 24 hour urine collection on the 22nd. He told me that if my protein is over 300, that's it - no more work. So, my hope is that if my blood pressure stays in check and I'm still feeling well, I can stay at work until July 1st... thinking that he will set up another appointment with me for after the 24 hour urine and glucose results come back for the last week in June.

Speaking of the size of these babies... I'm really excited to see them again on Thursday. My OB, when palpating my belly, asked when my next growth scan is... because he thinks they are big. Well, I'm SURE they are big - DH is big, my dad & sisters are all tall, and his entire family is tall. I've said from the beginning that I'm growing "Ryan-sized" babies in here - they have always measured ahead. Even as twins, they measure ahead for as if they are singletons.

Today the nursery is being painted. I'm beyond excited! All of the twins' bedding came in, and I did a color consult with an interior decorator to help pick paint colors for our entire house.

The nursery theme is My First ABC by Kidsline.


Originally, I wanted to do a safari/jungle theme, but everything was either very feminine or very masculine - and I wanted something that wouldn't look too "off" for either baby. My biggest "want" was something that had elephants in it because I love them! I figured this set worked out nicely. I plan on having the changing pad be a sagey green, Ryder's extra crib sheets being red, and Brynley's extra sheets being lilac. We are painting the nursery a sagey green above the chair rail, then a white chair rail, then a light tan color. Our furniture color is similar to that in the picture.

Everyone has been so insanely generous to our babies already, and I swear I already have enough clothes for them for the first 6 months or so. Once the nursery is set up, DH & I need to re-do their closet structure (the structure the builder puts in is crap and doesn't use the space well), and then I can really go through all the clothing and see what we really have.

Other than that, not much else going on... here are some belly pictures :)

Here I am at 24 weeks and 25 weeks.


No comments:

Post a Comment