Tuesday, February 5, 2013

On Telling Our Families

Now that we've told our families, I feel more comfortable "coming out" on this blog with the pregnancy.

What makes things difficult for us with telling our families is that my mom lives a state away (but comes "home" on the weekends), his mom lives about an hour & a half away, his sister lives another state away, 2 of my sisters live in the South, one lives on the West Coast, and his dad lives on the West Coast. So, the only local person is my dad, and my mom on the weekends.

As soon as I found out I was pregnant, I got these frames for my sisters.


After we found out we were having twins, and that so far everything looked good, I got these frames for our parents.



The plan was to mail the frames to our far-away immediate family, and to have my parents over for dinner at our house. I sent all of the packages on Wednesday, the day after we found out it was twins, via USPS Priority Mail Flat Rate - which side note, I LOVE. I marked the packages up saying "do not open until you call us!" and even contacted everyone to tell them.

My 2 sisters in Atlanta got their package first. My sister, Noelle, was immediately crying. I said "notice anything weird about the picture?" And I could hear Gab & Noey both going "is that two? Is it twins?" Their reaction was awesome.

About 2 hours later, DH's mom called. She was so excited and hysterical crying and sobbing that we could barely understand her.

About 4 hours later, DH's sister called, again another excited one.

My youngest sister got hers the next morning and was happy, as well.

On Sunday, we had my parents over for lunch. And before dessert, I put little gift bags on their place settings. They opened them at the same time - my Mom took a second to "get" it, and my Dad was speechless. Then we said, "notice anything weird?" And they both were in shock about twins. I know my dad was shocked because he was uncharacteristically speechless, lol.

DH's dad got his package last night, so DH will tell him today. I'm so excited for his reaction.

Right now, our immediate families know, some of my online friends know, my BFF, and a couple of my other close friends know. My plan is to keep it secret from everyone else until I'm out of the first trimester. I think it'll be hard though because I'm already showing with a little bump.

Overall, I've felt pretty good. I have almost constant nausea, but peppermint Lifesavers really seem to help me. I'm exhausted all the time and starving all the time, too. Really, nothing is as bad as I thought it would be (so far, knock on wood). I'm trying to take every symptom or discomfort as a blessing.

I've only put on a couple of pounds, but according to my twin book, I need to step it up in the weight gain department. I honestly have been eating like crap, but am now making a more conscious effort to eat better.

1 comment: