Tuesday, February 5, 2013

On Betas & First Appointments

Originally written: Monday, January 14th, 11am

As you can tell by these posts, I did get more positive pregnancy tests on Tuesday 01/08, and I told DH as soon as he got home from work that morning. I put the 2 digital tests in a little bracelet box and told him I had a Christmas gift I had forgotten to give him at Christmas. He opened the box, looked at me, looked at the tests, looked at me and then goes "omg, this is exciting!" and kissed me.

I had an appointment with my primary care physician on Thursday, so I told him and his staff the news. He told me how his wife experienced multiple miscarriages, so he understood my being "cautiously excited". My blood pressure was a little high, but I had been soooo anxious and had barely slept since getting the first positive test. The visit was a follow-up to me being off my hypertension medications for about a year, so I understand his concern about my blood pressure even moreso now that I'm pregnant.

I had my first beta done on Thursday, at 13DPIUI. My beta was 306, which is very high. Since I got my first positive test, I've thought I was having twins. I will not be shocked or disappointed if I'm only carrying a singleton, but I just FEEL twins in my bones.

I went for my second beta draw this morning and will probably get the call around 3pm with updated news.

Once my beta hits 1500, the RE will have me do a transvaginal ultrasound, and then I'll move from a fertility nurse to a pregnancy nurse.

I also had my first ob appointment this morning. The midwife said everything looks great, and she had me fill out a ton of paperwork about genetic counseling (probably not needed for me), testing for Down Syndrome, and paperwork so they can get my records from the RE and my regular endocrinologist. She gave me a script to have a transvaginal ultrasound done between 6 and 8 weeks (I'll probably have my one done by the RE first, and then use this one a couple weeks later so that I can definitely hear the heartbeat), and gave me a slip for bloodwork. She also said that because I had a heart murmur before, I will need an extensive cardiac workup down the line. Other than that, I come back in 2 weeks. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment