Wednesday, August 7, 2013

On 33w4d & Water Breaking

Just when it seemed like everything was going so well, life hands you a curve ball.

On Wednesday, 07/31, I was discharged from the hospital to almost total bedrest. My OB & midwife figured that mentally, it would be easier for me to continue the pregnancy at home. But, the instructions were strict - 2 visits a week to the perinatologist for monitoring, 2 OB visits a week, only getting out of bed or off the couch for potty or snack breaks. No driving, no lifting, nothing. I could live with that. I signed out at 5pm.

Around 7pm, I had run out of water and since Mojo had been attached to my belly and not eaten his dinner, I figured we could both go downstairs for a few minutes & I would force him to eat & go outside. When I stood up from bed, I felt something but wasn't sure what. When I went downstairs, I had an immediate gush of fluid - just like in the movies. At first I thought maybe the weight of the babies caused me to urine myself, then I got scared and though maybe I was bleeding... I went to the bathroom to check and it definitely wasn't urine or blood - lots and lots of clear fluid that smelled a little bleach - one of my waters broke.

The amount of fluid that came out was insane. Every step I took, it gushed. If I stood still, it just ran down my legs. No one really prepares you for that - especially when you think you will end up being a scheduled c-section & not deal with all of this. Especially when you have 2 waters that could break.

So, I called Ryan and told him to leave work and head towards the hospital. Called my dad to come get me. And I called my neighbor/friend to come over. It was pandemonium in my house. Everyone was running around gathering things, calling the doctor, yelling at me to put on pants, and poor Mojo just kept crying. Lol.

We finally left for the hospital. When we or there, the staff didn't seem super concerned, which was odd to me. I figured they would be sending us to the OR ASAP to get the twins out. After speaking to the attending physician, he said because I'm not in active labor, I'm not in distress, the twins aren't in distress, there's no reason to immediately deliver. The plan is to load me up with antibiotics to prevent infection from the broken sac, monitor me & the twins, and let us go to as close to 34 weeks as possible. If I went into labor, they wouldn't prevent it, but they aren't going to just take them.

This condition is called P-PROM. I learned more about it from the perinatologist the next day when she did an ultrasound to check their fluid levels. They both still have great fluid, and I'm able to eat & drink enough to keep them producing it, so no worries so far. I'm actually still leaking fluid all the time, but not like the initial gushes.

The first 2 days I was on 24/7 fetal monitoring and unable to get out of bed at all or even really sit up. After that, they moved me to a less acute care floor, where I can get up to shower and go to the bathroom and we are only doing fetal monitoring twice a day.

So far, everything has looked great. The babies are still growing and creating their own fluid. My blood pressures have been good, and the only really concern is some lingering liver function issues (probably from the pre-eclampsia), and I had been steadily losing lots of weight. But, as of this morning, I had a small weight gain - I'll take whatever I can get.

I started a 2nd set of steroid shots for their lungs. The mini goal is for me to make it 34 weeks (this Saturday), and the big goal is for me to make it 35 weeks (next Saturday). My OB would deliver me at some point after 35 weeks, assuming I don't go into labor on my own. He does his rounds here on Tuesdays, so if I had to guess 08/20 may be the day!

No comments:

Post a Comment